Sunday, December 17, 2017

Top of the First!


My first exposure to sports video games came back In the 80's.I was around 10 years old when  Major League Baseball released on the NES. I didn't own an NES but a kid my mom used to babysit did,and he lived right down the street from me.Perfect!We were both Met fans and since neither of us would give,NY Mets vs. NY Mets match ups were prevalent.I hated that shit :( Why couldn't he just pick another team,I mean,I was older than he was and should have pulled rank.Of course ,that would have gotten me a lifetime ban from his basement.He was a notorious soar loser and after an unlucky streak ,angry yet hilariously uneffective punches to my shoulder would ensue.That was pretty much commonplace.

  MLB had real teams but no player names .Instead,the numbers of each player displayed alongside some stats helped us to distinguish the guys we had in our lineup.You don't know how many times we took to our baseball cards for  number verification.

Since I don't currently own an NES ,I can't give you a  review of how the game plays now,I can only go on memory.From what I can remember ,the game was fun.But I was 10 ,so.While MLB on the NES was entertaining, addiction to baseball video gaming wouldn't rear It's ugly head until about the 7th grade.    

2 comments:

  1. I played this game a lot back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fuj!Yeah,It was pretty much all we had If we wanted something close to the MLB experience.No real player names though :(

    ReplyDelete